Teaching English Jobs
The Asian market is one of the largest in the world for English teachers. Located near the south coast of China, Hong Kong is one of the oldest and most established English teaching markets.
Hong Kong is one of the two special administrative regions of the People's Republic of China (PRC). A crown colony of the United Kingdom beginning in 1842, its sovereignty was transferred to the PRC in the year 1997. Stroll along the harbor for spectacular panoramic views of Hong Kong, or take it one step further and board an elevated tram to gaze upon the city skyline from hair-raising heights.
English teachers in Hong Kong can find jobs year round, as interviews are conducted well in advance. Interviews are held both over the phone and via e-mail. Instructors are responsible for airfare and housing expenses. Most teachers live in apartments recently vacated by previous teachers, while many choose to room with coworkers. Teaching positions with children or adults are plentiful, though it should be noted that the Hong Kong market for teaching children is particularly outstanding.
A generous salary affords English teachers a comfortable lifestyle, with the possibility to save up to 600 USD per month. Schools typically offer 20 to 25 hours of work per week, leaving plenty of time to travel and explore. English teachers need an AA or bachelor’s degree to teach in Hong Kong, and TEFL certification is required.
English Teaching Requirements in Hong Kong
- Education: BA/BS is required; TEFL TESOL Certification is required and students can obtain certification in any of our Worldwide TEFL locations or by taking the Online TEFL Class.
- Citizenship Requirements: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa.
- Typical hiring process: phone/e-mail in advance
- Average teaching hours per week: 20–25 hours of classroom plus extra prep time
- Types of students: business professionals, children in public schools and private language schools
- Cost of living per month: 15,000 - 20,000 HKD; 2,300 - 5,000 USD
- Average monthly pay: 18,000 - 40,000 HKD; 2,300 - 3,000 USD
- Start-up cost: 2,000 - 2,500 USD
- Potential to save or break even: save 500-600 USD/month
- Accommodation/housing benefits paid: Sometimes
- Medical Insurance - co pay, national health insurance
- Vacation - paid 2 weeks & sick days
- Flight reimbursement: Sometimes
Interesting Facts About Life in Hong Kong
- The meaning of the words ‘Hong Kong’ is ‘Fragrant Harbor’.
- The official languages of Hong Kong are Cantonese (a dialect of Chinese) and English.
- Hong Kong is located in southeastern China, at the base of the Pearl River.
- There is steep, hilly terrain throughout Hong Kong, as a result outdoor escalators exist in the Central district of the Island.
- In Hong Kong people often eat long noodles on their birthday, so they might be blessed with a long life.